Needs from wider perspective (beyond Maslow)Posted by admin on Mar 7, 2013 in Psychology | 0 comments
This article is a short summary about Needs from a wider perspective, trying to collect the complete list of Needs that is influencing and motivating us from day to day.
Everybody wants to find meanings in the life. To fully understand our existence we need to understand our parts that could not be influenced, or change dramatically these are our needs.
Do you remember the hierarchy of needs? (Maslow)
- Biological and Physiological needs (air, food, drink, sex, sleep)
- Safety needs (protection, limits, stability)
- Love needs (relationship, work group, friends)
- Esteem needs (status, responsibility, reputation)
- Self-actualization (fulfilment)
This is an easy categorization of needs, but highlights the different types and the variety. However the above categorization seems to lack some of the important needs that exist in our everyday life.
To solve this issue we can simply collect the needs that emerges in our life, without any categorization:
- Breath, Sleeping (need for being live)
- Eating, drinking (need for food)
- Home, safety (need for comfort zone)
- Family, friendship (need for community)
- Sexuality, having sex, procreation (need for making love)
- Claim for beauty (need for experience beautiful things)
- Moving, motion, will to act (need for change)
- Ecstasy (need if being in a state of intense feeling - after Csikszentmihályi)
- Need of attention (need for attracting attention)
- Curiosity, Seeking for new things, new feelings for unknown, entertainment (need to learn)
- Self-knowledge, spirituality, understanding life (need for faith)
- Helping each other, altruism
The needs foster our everyday motivation. Every need stamps from the lack of fulfillment of that specific need, that implicates to raise of the desire to satisfy that. After satisfaction, another need steps forward in order to fulfill it.
The working mechanism is so damn simple.